"One who sees something good must narrate it." Ugandan proverb.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Only one more day?

Time is going fast. Everything is speeding along. And that is so un-African. Isn't it?


Or maybe not.


It seems that everyone in Uganda is fine though, so maybe it is just an American thing.


Of course, it could be just a 'me' thing. 


That's what it is. 


I'm exhausted. With a fast approaching deadline, with little time for preparation, with royalty coming to visit, with traffic jams, early mornings and late nights, and red dust everywhere, I'm feeling kind of stressed out and exhausted. Just ask my children. They seem to be driving me crazy at times but it's likely that they are the target of misplaced stress on my part.


And Carolynne and Patrick have been helping quite a bit.


They've taken great photos. Typed in tons of documentation to be used in the Culture Center. Carolynne painted the trim around the two rooms of the culture center. Both edited students' paper. Patrick searched the school compound for material to make signs and found wood that worked. Carolynne painted them. They've done some babysitting. Searched the internet for photos of Ugandan royalty. They've done tons of stuff.


We've been so busy preparing for the culture center that getting home to start the process of bathing, eating, and sleeping, doesn't start until 9 or 10pm. I'm beat but somehow still going. I think I am getting some energy from all the Ugandan people around me. It seems that it takes a lot of energy to get through each day. And yet, no matter what time of day or night, the village and surburban Kampala are vibrating with life. My friend Robbie said that Ugandan people live life out loud.  I guess it is that vibration that is feeding me and keeping me going even though I haven't had much sleep and way too much work.


Because of the rarity of free time and availability of electricity and the internet, I've not blogged as much as I wanted to. Just to give a quick update on the goings on over here from my perspective is the following:


Had to write a draft of the Queen's speech. It was two and a half pages long. Her people will edit it but I wrote it as if it was going to be word for word right out of her royal mouth. It took me an entire day and night due to being pulled in dozens of directions through out the day. That was Wednesday, I think.


Then Thursday, yesterday, I had to create the grand opening program that will be handed out to the guests on Saturday. After spending a few hours on it, we realized it needed to be reworked with more information. I used a European laptop with a European keyboard so I had to go back to one finger/letter typing at a time. And though the laptop has been such a great addition to our work equipment, it only works plugged in. When the power went out and  I lost my work and time, I have to say it was more than a little frustrating.


I think I have ADD because multi-tasking is almost impossible for me. Even focusing on one thing is difficult with distractions. And believe me, distractions are the status quo when you are working at a primary school in Uganda with 150 children, and at least 30 adults who are coming and going in the head office where you are working. Preparing for royalty is no small potatoes.


Truly, I don't know how we are going to do it, that is, be ready on Saturday. We've run out of some supplies, like the mats we were using to create a ceiling. The printer ran out of ink. The copy machine's buttons are broken. My son is not so well; I think the anti-malarial is the culprit. He vomited all morning. Costumes for the fashion show haven't been delivered. The stage that is being hand made had to be moved three times. At times during the day, I could have cried. But then I looked at Martha who had legitimate reasons every minute to lose it. And she didn't. So I didn't either.


From time to time I'd take a break and take a walk on the school grounds. Seeing everyone busy preparing, like the woman from the north who was spreading cow dung on the north region's traditional home's floor was somehow refreshing. Two jjajjas (grandmothers) in the central region's home made pillows and other items from banana fibers while cackling and laughing in their brightly colored busutis (dresses). And the children. The children slow down as I approach and shyly look in my direction hoping for a hello from Madam Lori. The children really help me keep my head together and push on towards the finish line.


We have only one more day. 










No comments:

Post a Comment